Thursday, April 5, 2012

Autism Gratitude Project 2012 Day 5

Autism Gratitude Project 2012 Day 5 - I am grateful for my sister, who loves my boys like her own and has never put pressure on me to ring her more, spend more time with her or do anything more than I've been capable of doing during the storm of autism for the last 4ish years. She's been there without judgement or expectations and has never ever asked more of what I can give emotionally or in any other kind of capacity which has been pretty much zero in honesty. She's stood by me during difficult times and has been supportive, understanding and patient when those difficult times have resulted in my own meltdowns and caused tension throughout our family. She babysits when she can which provides respite and sanity saving time for me. I also must include my brother in law, in this declaration of gratitude. I rarely actually describe him as my brother in law but more often than not, my brother. Recently, I hit rock bottom with life "events" and although I didn't call on my sister and brother (in law) all that much, I knew they were there and always will be. They let me know I could call on them and that was enough. To have the security of knowing there are people on my side who don't push, don't judge, don't NEED anything from me is very comforting to a person who is often called upon by others who NEED me in some capacity. 


Jenny and Paul know I am fresh out of anything much to give right now and they don't care. They love me regardless and let me know through their support that it's ok I can't give anything right now (or for a while longer). They know I am not too capable of "helping" others right now and that the desire to do so has been knocked out of me. They also know I'm not doing to well with the loss of my "help gene" and they make me feel ok about it whilst all I do is help myself and my boys for a while longer. We haven't had lengthy discussions or deep and meaningfuls about any of this but the point is, I just know. No matter what happens, no matter how low I could ever get, no matter what, Jenny and Paul will be my quietly supportive "go to" guys regardless of whatever storm is happening in their own lives.

That's pretty special and I'm so very very grateful.

PS: The boys LOVE Aunty Jenny and Uncle Pauly to the moon, the stars and back too.

No comments:

Post a Comment