Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Photo A Day May Day 7 - SOMEONE WHO INSPIRES YOU

Photo A Day May Day 7 - SOMEONE WHO INSPIRES YOU

I couldn't pick just one. My boys inspire me more than anyone else on the planet living or passed on. They each have a diagnosis of ASD that is widely considered limiting. I have watched them prove every stereotype wrong. They are both loving, affectionate, friendly boys who love playing, making friends, embarking on adventures and fill people they meet with joy. It's true. I see the reaction when J enthusiastically greets everyone he sees with reckless abandon and the joy of a soul truly free of judgement even though he is judged often. I feel the warmth a shy smile or coy greeting from H brings the special people in his life he chooses to bestow his more reserved affection upon.

To go from limited communication, developmental delays and constant frustration based meltdowns only a few short years ago to becoming the happy little boys they are who enjoy birthday parties, school, preschool, camp and every other experience they take on with such gusto is nothing short of inspiring to bear witness to.

All new experiences, sensory difficulties and new people make every day more challenging for these boys but they get through it. They thrive. They conquer. Their bravery is awe inspiring. A simple social exchange such as asking a child to play, navigating playground politics or knowing the "right" thing to do in a classroom present a child with ASD with such confusion and anxiety. These boys work through it all with encouragement, support and love from me and for each other and those around them.

Never ever tell me never for any child with ASD. Don't talk about limits. My boys will NEVER be anything but limitless in their potential.

J and H.... You inspire me to always do better and be better. I watch you guys do just that every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment